Wednesday 28 June 2017

Facts about Dramaturgy: Rosie Houlton @ Edfringe 2017

Introducing the newest blonde bombshell to hit Edinburgh Fringe this summer with a mouth full of sass, song and risky stories!
Rosie Sings: Facts About Me!

This summer Rosie Houlton will bring the world premiere of her solo show to the Edinburgh Fringe festival. “Rosie Sings: Facts About Me” is an afternoon of song and banter, featuring classics from musical theatre, cabaret and pop. Get to know Rosie as she shares stories about her journey to Scotland at Fingers Piano Bar, one of Edinburgh’s best-loved jazz and cabaret venues. Enjoy some great songs and risky jokes. You’ll even get to find out why things feel good in her mouth.
“I’m always being told that people don’t know where to place me and that I don’t fit in a box and… darlings I’m fine with that!”

What was the inspiration for this performance?
After having slots in other Cabaret evenings, Ive fallen in love with the intimacy from the crowd and how we share the experience together. I am new to doing my own solo shows and Im so excited to be finding myself and how I fit into this exciting scene plus, any excuse to wear lashes and buy more diamonds! 

Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 
Oh definitely! Performance can be whatever you choose it to be and the best thing about it is you can express and explore subjects to an audience and in return find those select few who feel the same way and build on that. If you’re open to being vulnerable, it can be the safest way to finding support for discussion, which is truly special. 

How did you become interested in making performance?
Well Daddy Houlton is a Circus Clown (Cousin Timoni is his stage name) and so I grew up touring with Zippos Circus. My dad also did Panto when I was a child, which is where I met all the Princesses… I knew I was a Princess to (hair flick). As a teen I was lured into being the Magician’s assistant before heading off to explore my own adventures.

Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?
For this show I’ve chosen ‘Facts About Me’ since I feel (I should) know enough about that subject.  I’ve found songs I connect with and that compliment my stories. I’ve structured the show in a way I enjoy and find fun, which is what’s most important I feel when trying to create a vibe for your audience. They just want to see you performing with purpose and enjoying yourself.

Does the show fit with your usual productions?
I’m from a Musical Theatre background and so I’m used to being told what to sing and say. With this I am my own boss but have bought my influences with me from music and performance and in this way it is very similar to my other productions... the sassy improvised chat is what's very different.

What do you hope that the audience will experience?
Saucy stories (of course) … a few laughs and some good sounds from my mouth. 

What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?
Fundamentally I think by being true to myself and enjoying myself the audience will see that and join me on the journey. Being open to spontaneity from your crowd in the moment is important because the show is for them. Respecting them by being fully rehearsed and giving them all of yourself is enough to allow the shape of the show to fall into place.

Sassy soprano and comedy vocalist Rosie Houlton is originally from Milton Keynes. She has toured the UK and Europe as a vocalist and actress in musicals, plays, cabaret and concerts.Growing up with her family in the circus Rosie has always had a passion for performing. It all started when she was lured in to being the magician’s assistant for tours all over the UK.


Douglas Price is a Music Director, Composer and Teacher.  He has his Masters Degree in Music Direction from the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland and is currently the Head of Music at the National Theatre School of Canada.  His compositions have been heard across Canada and the UK and select Music Directing credits include Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Last Five Years, Legally Blond and Light in the Piazza.

“Voice of an angel, mouth of a sailor” Jamie Anderson, Cabaret Confidential

Rosie Sings: Facts About Me!
Venue: Fingers Piano Bar (Venue 221)
Tickets: Free, non-ticketed
Time: 3:10pm (1hr)
Dates: August 5 - 27 (excluding 7,14,21)

No comments :

Post a Comment