Tuesday 8 March 2016

I F-ing Love Tokenism

It came as a late entry on my Facebook feed, but there: the group I Fucking Love Science dedicated its posts to the forgotten women who achieved a great deal, but didn't get credit or fame.

Here's the thing, chaps: the reason that they didn't get credit or fame is because of 'science'. I'm not claiming scientific method has a gender, but the scientific establishment is dominated by exactly the kind of people who don't give credit to women. The reason that women are marginalised within science is because scientists marginalise them. 

Just to clarify, this isn't about the odd sexist joke. Try here. Or here. How about something more... academic? This is a doozy, too.

I have very little time for I Fucking Love Science, although it has matured from its early days, when it slapped up great photos, attached a scientific fact and looked smug. Nowadays it reposts articles from other sources, which is almost scientific, isn't it?

Still, it'll be back to ignoring the women of science tomorrow. Tell you what: buy this book when it comes out. 

No comments :

Post a Comment