Saturday 15 August 2015

Taping Dramaturgy

Storytape is a show recorded onto cassette. It’s about a man who is lost and a woman waiting for the perfect moment. It’s a show to be listened to. 

It’s a show to wander the streets with. A show to sit alone with or share with someone else. It’s a show waiting to be discovered. Storytape lasts approximately 1 hour, running every half hour from noon till 4pm. The kiosk can be found at the Gilded Balloon.

Check  for precise location on the day. 
Free and unticketed but donations welcome!
Theatre (comedy, storytelling)
Gilded Balloon (Venue 14) ​ 12:00, 12:30, 13:00, 13:30, 14:00, 14:30, 15:00, 15:30, 16:00 Aug 17-21, 24-28 1 hour

The Fringe
What inspired this production: did you begin with an idea or a script or an object?
The idea came from a story-tape I was given when I was little. It came with a read along book and the tape would make a twinkling sound when it was time to turn the page - I thought this was magical! I listened to it over and over. I loved spending time with my storytape, it seemed to talk directly to me in it’s twinkly code. It told me things about the world and took me on adventures. Most of all it was just me and the tape. It was my experience and mine alone. I’m convinced it was the thing that set me on a lifetime of solitary discoveries.

Where does your piece at the fringe fit with your usual work?
I have written a few short pieces before but nothing more than 500 or so words so this is my first real piece of work. Its very much an experiment and I'm looking at developing the way I tell stories and finding new ways to communicate. 

What can the audience expect to see and feel - or even think - of your production?
I wanted to create something wonderful that would make other people feel like they’d found themselves a small piece of treasure. Nothing in my life seems more precious than a thing I discover quietly, alone. It can be something as simple as a song or an odd little trinket from a junk shop, or even a new friend - each is just as precious as the next. But they wouldn’t be the same experienced with others, they wouldn’t reveal as much.

Its up to the listener to find something within the story that resonates with them. That is why I have created so many characters. Everyone is different and needs to find something different.

The Dramaturgy Questions

 How would you explain the relevance - or otherwise - of dramaturgy within your work?
Im sorry, I dont know what this question means

What particular traditions and influences would you acknowledge on your work -  have any particular artists, or genres inspired you and do you see yourself within their tradition?
See Q1

 Do you have a particular process of making that you could describe - where it begins, how you develop it, and whether there is any collaboration in the process?
I work very structured and I break everything down into small chunks. Its the only way I can do it. Im no novel writer.


What do you feel the role of the critic is? 
I think a critic needs to put the effort into understanding where the artist is coming from if they're thoughts are to make any valued contribution. I do not think it is anyones place to just say if something is good or bad. Everything has a reason for being. However, I do believe the critic can be very valuable to the audience if they are providing information rather than passing judgement.

No comments :

Post a Comment