Sunday 28 June 2015

The Magic of Dramaturgy: Mike Chao @ EdMagic Fest

GKV:What inspired this production: did you begin with an idea or a script or an object?
Mike Chao: At the beginning I learned card magic, close up, manipulation on stage . Then I was trying to make something unique from other magicians as most magicians perform card magic.

So, after that, I put different elements inside: like the combs, ties, confetti, then the store, what should I look like on stage .


Why bring your work to Edinburgh?
Kevin McMahon

What can the audience expect to see and feel - or even think - of your production?
Normally, when magicians perform manipulation on stage, they always want their audience think their hands are faster than your eyes.

For me, its not real magic . Although I do manipulation on stage, I want my audience when they watch my show, they can feel my showmanship and presentation more than my technique.



The Dramaturgy Questions
How would you explain the relevance - or otherwise - of dramaturgy within your work?
For my show, its not about the technique of my hands , the "green objects" in my act, is just like a kind of magic power, they give me energy to do something incredible just like magic. 

So, in the end of the routine, the greens change to white, just like I lost my power, and the show is done.




What particular traditions and influences would you acknowledge on your work - have any particular artists, or genres inspired you and do you see yourself within their tradition?
My eyes were opened when I first attend FISM 2006 in Stockholm, I saw many great artists there: Juan Tamariz , Armando Lucero , and David Sousa. I learned what is real magic from their performances.

Especially David Sousa: when I watched his show, I liked his showmanship on stage. So that`s why I started to do card manipulations . 

Do you have a particular process of making that you could describe - where it begins, how you develop it, and whether there is any collaboration in the process?
I began magic from magic club in my university , and I learned it there. After I made my first act, I was trying to go to different magic competitions, not because I want to get the prize .

It`s because I want to get feedback from the jury and the audience who watched my show, and I will know how can I fix or develop it to change it better.

So, I also worked with musician who made my original music and also fashion design who build my custom to make me better on stage.

4. What do you feel the role of the audience is, in terms of making the meaning of your work?
I think you should ask the audiences ...lol

But I hope they have a different experience after they watched my show.

Are there any questions that you feel I have missed out that would help me to understand how dramaturgy works for you?Maybe?

No comments :

Post a Comment