Thursday 12 September 2013

Giants in the Forest: Forres Chapter 6.3


This is what the view from the Giants looks like in Sanquahar Woods. So far, I have been interested in the relationship between the Giants and their immediate environment. However - perhaps due to the mysterious associations of the nearby Findhorn community - I have become concerned with a more mythical interpretation of these Giants.

A couple who had come across me on the site suggested that there were symbolic readings of the Giants. These alluded to the pagan traditions, and stories of beings who once inhabited these forests. I determined to attempt an alternative reading.

My first step was to think about creating some kind of on the spot response to the forest. I put down my camera, and began to haul pieces of wood, stones and fir cones about. I discovered a mound which would serve as a sort of shrine.

The mound was directly beneath the gaze of all three Giants. I wanted to leave something behind that clearly alluded to their presence, but wasn't necessarily a crude commentary on the Giants. It was intended to be an abstract art review of their presence. Each branch, each leaf, had a meaning - at least to me. How far this sculpture would be comprehensible to others was moot.

No trees were harmed in the creation: the branches had already fallen from the trees. I hope that the piece would not be permanent. In fact, I originally intended not to mention it on the blog. I thought I could pretend someone else had done it.

After I had spent ten minutes carrying the wood about, adjusting the line, closing in on the detail, I wanted to sign it in huge letters. Having struggling with writing about the Giants, and making sense of them through words, I decided that I had found an alternative process.


Here's a close up of the arrangement in the middle. The repetition of the number three throughout the design reflects both the number of Giants but also the use of trinities in many world religions. The lines of the branches are there to emphasise the pathway that has led me across the country towards the Giants.

I felt absurd making the piece, and feel absurd talking about it. I was having fun as I made it though.

No comments :

Post a Comment