Monday 2 September 2013

Ciara Comes Back in Santa's Sack?

I am taking advantage of the extreme pain in my body to write up every controversial thought that passes
through my mind, accompanying the spasms of pain shooting up my left flank. Then, when I am called out for not supporting my arguments, or saying something obnoxious, I shall point to my wounds and claim that these are the scars of a man who did too much for theatre...

I've been pondering the Traverse's Autumn Season 2013. I am pleased that they are reviving 'David Harrower's multi-award-winning 2013 Festival hit play,Ciara, directed by Traverse Artistic Director Orla O’Loughlin... the jewel of this year's Traverse Festival crown. This captivating play, written by one of Scotland's finest writers for the truly exceptional Blythe Duff, captured the imaginations of audiences and won Scotsman Fringe First and Herald Angel Awards this August. It offers an insight into the exhilarating world of a gallery owner and daughter of one of Glasgow's notorious crime bosses (3-21 Dec).'

I'm pleased because I missed it - but did enough people not catch it during August to make another three week run viable? And is the story of a gangland boss' daughter a good way to catch the Edinburgh Christmas crowds? Sure, this fits with the Traverse's traditional attempt to avoid being obvious during the festive season - recognising that there are plenty of pantomimes, they have always gone for a proper play. But The Citizens, which also rejects the pantomime, offers a sop to the younger crowd (who miss the psychological depth being packed into scripts about traditional fairy tales, and enjoy the spectacle).

Harrower's writing is always worth a listen, and Duff covers that rare ground between being a TV celebrity and an exceptionally enthralling performer. It's also a new play, with a proven track record of popularity already. So it fits with the Traverse's commitment to New Writing - I am just not sure why it has come back so quickly. 


No comments :

Post a Comment