Friday 17 May 2013

The Flanagan Collective present Githa


This next week is going to be a week of packing things into boxes. At home, I need to find my degree transcript, so there will be tidying up. So that the world of theatre can join me in my fun, I am going to put every single press release into a category. If I can't fit a work into a classic description, I shall make up a new one.


First up, Githa. Luckily, author and performer Hannah Davies has made it easy for me. It's a one woman play based on the life of the twentieth Century dramatist Githa Sowerby, "a lyrical and intimate piece about an exceptional woman from a critical period in women's history."

Feminist monologue, then: that was too easy. Although, I am not sure who this Githa is. Fortunately, The Scotsman has a quotation on the press release. 

“Davies tells the story of a writer who was a feminist icon with warmth and humour…
a compelling exploration of both female oppression and what art can and should be.”

Saving me a trip to Wikipedia, the release continues. 

London 1912. K.G Sowerby’s play, Rutherford & Son is an overnight hit. Katherine Githa Sowerby is hailed as one of the most powerful dramatists of her time, but her work has since been overlooked. Githa explores the woman behind the plays and tells her forgotten story. 

It asks what it is that drives us to create and looks at how time can be a blessing and a curse. With evocative sound design and music reminiscent of the era, this is an arresting and exquisite one woman show about one woman's remarkable impact on a man's world.

It goes on to note that Rutherford and Son has been revived and is heading for London: in fact, this production of Githa at York Theatre Royal Studio by Northern Broadside’s production of Githa’s play, Rutherford & Son.

That is another category: useful double bill. 

York Theatre Royal








No comments :

Post a Comment