Thursday 16 May 2013

Cal MacAninch plays Henry V with the RSNO. Art Crush Satisfied

I'm not saying that I feel in love with his villain in Betrayal at the Citizens' last year, but the evil glint in his eye made me ignore his character's vicious, controlling nature. And when his Duke of Cornwall got stabbed in King Lear the same year, I had to suppress an urge to boo. He might be famous now for being on Downtown Abbey, but Cal MacAninch playing Henry V is, like, my cross-platform event of the year.

Okay - so it's the season finale for RSNO, Nicola Benedetti will be cranking out the tune that is making her famous and the event is about celebrating Peter Oundjian's first year at the helm of the orchestra. But Cal MacAnich...

I shall just anticipate quietly... here's a press release, fragmented by my excitement...


Walton’s Henry V: A Shakespeare Scenario concludes a gala concert programme featuring Scottish violinist Nicola Benedetti performing Vaughan-Williams’ The Lark Ascending and Saint-Saëns’ Introduction and Rondo capriccioso, opening with Ravel’s Alborada del gracioso.

Adapted from the Oscar nominated soundtrack for the 1944 film Henry V with Laurence Olivier, the work illustrates the story of the events leading up to and during the famous English military victory over the French at the Battle of Agincourt. 

Cal MacAninch: “I am absolutely thrilled that I have been invited to perform Walton’s Henry V with the RSNO as part of its final concerts of the season. I once dreamed of playing this concert but never imagined that it would be possible. It has been a favourite of mine ever since I saw Christopher Plummer narrate the original in London in 1990, and I am very excited that now I am being given the opportunity to fulfil such a long held ambition. But to do it in Scotland with the RSNO makes it all the sweeter."



Season Finale! Oundjian & Benedetti Gala Concert

Fri 31 May – Usher Hall, Edinburgh ∙ Sat 1 Jun – Glasgow Royal Concert Hall

Ravel Alborada del gracioso
Vaughan Williams The Lark Ascending
Saint-Saëns Introduction and Rondo capriccioso
Walton/ Palmer Henry V: A Shakespeare Scenario

Peter Oundjian (conductor), Nicola Benedetti (violin), Cal MacAninch (narrator), RSNO Chorus, RSNO Junior Chorus


No comments :

Post a Comment