Sunday 31 March 2013

Buzzcut and Broken Glass

It is perfectly possibly that my Bad Sunday - caused by sitting on my glasses while reading an introduction to Marx - is the result of a punishment for my cynicism about the Sunday Assembly. Fortunately, they won't believe in supernatural justice, so I can develop a conspiracy theory that the Catholic Church objected to my comparison of the Vatican to the BBC.

My current limited vision, aside from expressing my critical identity in a literal motif that would probably delight fans of Shakespeare, has cut into my review time at Buzzcut. I have been struggling anyway: the variety of work, the sheer volume of artists and the number of performers who are offering either works in progress or are at an early stage of their career slices across a simple approachof star rating individual turns. Besides, the posters are asking how an even can strengthen a community. If this is the intention of the festival, this question can only really be answered after the dust has settled - and from within.

Buzzcut  has never been short in ambition. Last year, it appeared to emerge in response to the absence of New Territories, a festival of experimental theatre that had introduced Glasgow to artists from Michael Clark through to Franko B. Buzzcut was clear that it did not intend to replace NT: the financial support behind the latter had allowed it to important major names from around the globe. Buzzcut is far more focussed on emerging artists - and local creators. But it made a fierce statement of independence, tipping its hat to the DIY ethos so strong in Glasgow, and encouraging artists from different genres, not necessarily associated with the Live Art that defines New Territories. By stressing the ideal of building and maintaining community, it presented a specific vision of what art is.

Fortunately, this year it includes the Black Sun Drum Corp. I'll be able to hear them, even if I can't see.

Both festivals and works in progress are worth further discussion - they are becoming the predominant format of theatre and related arts, lately... as soon as my eyes adjust to the short distance, I think I need to consider how I approach them.

No comments :

Post a Comment