Wednesday 23 January 2013

Stills. Economy. Live Blog. 3

At the back of the gallery, there is a collection of postcard sized images. Between a photograph of a graffito ("let's make lots of money" in black spray paint) and an advert for investing in Eastern Poland (a beseeching child looks up beneath the caption "what will you tell your child when he asks whether you invested..."), there is a screen-shot of a Facebook newsfeed. Barclays Bank is asking "is it a home if you don't own it?"

There's probably enough in that sentence to last the rest of my review. First of all, a bank has decided to institute a major philosophical discussion about the nature of "home." I'd rather that was left to professors who might be able to provide intellectual support for the dialogue without trying to sell me contents insurance every five minutes.

I am going to assume two possible answers. Not knowing is a valuable position, but it doesn't allow me to follow the consequences of a solid response.

If it isn't a home unless I own it, that opens up all the questions about financial instability, the dangers of renting (will the landlord suddenly evict me?), the idea that without ownership, the householder is not allowed to call anywhere home, that they are merely occupying and have no sense of location and... and...

If it is a home anyway... what does that mean a home is? How do I establish a home in a rented accommodation?

But I thought of myself as very excluded by that question. Since I don't own the house I live in, I am reminded of my position as an economic outsider.

This is going to be a troubling exhibition.

No comments :

Post a Comment