Tuesday 22 January 2013

Good Morning, Can I Have My Reality Back, Please?


My inbox is often filled with exciting special offers and news of new theatre. Then I get press releases from dating sites. Do these agencies read my blog? Are they suggesting something about my life that I need to know about the latest statistics for single?

Luckily, I get the odd one that challenges my perception of reality. The "news" from SeekingArrangement.com is that British students are seeking "sugar daddies" to pay their tuition. Apparently, in a statistic that will doubtless have the Edinburgh elders jumping for joy, the website has experienced a 222% increase in female sign-ups from the august institution.

Hell, the website even has a page explaining how natural a "mutually beneficial arrangement" is. And "the average college Sugar Baby" gets five grand a month out of it. 

Being a critic, I am not in a position to judge anyone else's personal morality, or hygiene. However, I found this press release vaguely depressing, not least because of its breezy style. And the fact that they claim that freshers at the University of Edinburgh are paying up to £9000 in tuition "for this year alone." Didn't Scotland reject fees for home students? Didn't someone do some research?

At the risk of sounding like a Daily Mail reader... I don't know. It just seems that here's an example of the commodification of personal relationships. That the site says this has been going on since caveman times, and that these relationships are encoded into our DNA makes me more despondent. Late capitalism likes nothing more than a spot of Bad Science to justify its pitch.

Or maybe I am just annoyed that I lack the "generosity" to get in on this hip new trend. I'll give the last word to the main man, Brandon Wade. In Vile tradition, I've given up trying and cut and paste the press release - although I am so impressed with his "online dating auction website."  

“While some may argue that these women are just using men for their own personal gain,” says Brandon Wade, CEO and Founder of SeekingArrangement.com. “I believe that they are proactive in pursuing a higher education.”

           
“College should be an opportunity to expand the mind and experience new things,” says Wade. “Unfortunately, because of the of recent tuition hikes, the college experience has become greatly unbalanced.”


About SeekingArrangement.com
SeekingArrangement.com is the premier sugar daddy dating website, and has been featured on such outlets as the New York Times, CNN Headline News, Good Morning America, and ABC 20/20. SeekingArrangement.com was founded by self-proclaimed “E-Cupid”, Brandon Wade who was anointed “Mr. Sugar Daddy” by the Wall Street Journal. BRANDON WADE is a leading dating expert, author, and successful internet entrepreneur who also founded a number of successful niche dating websites including the number one travel dating website - MissTravel.com, millionaire matchmaker website - SeekingMillionaire.com, and online dating auction website – WhatsYourPrice.com.

No comments :

Post a Comment