Wednesday 23 January 2013

Economy at Stills (Live Blog (1))

My natural antagonism to Marxists aside (not so much to the theories of the bearded expert on Lucretius, more towards those who would use his analysis as the foundation of the only possible strategies against capitalism), Economy is a big exhibition that can't be ignored. I am sitting in the basement of the Stills Gallery, preparing myself for a few hours of live blogging. On an exhibition that is so important, it is reaching across two cities. 

And it persuaded me to come to Edinburgh, despite the snow.

My first stop is Netherworld Magazine. Stills is all about the photography, and this is the place to check out contemporary documentary photography and video art. Unlike the work I am more naturally comfortable to discuss, this website showcases images that are consciously engaged in a political and social discourse (I am all about the aesthetics...). It leads me into the exhibition which, even as I glimpsed it as I made for the resource room, is clearly locating art within a broader context.


From the guide to Economy.

In the 21st century, does the economy provide the ground zero of our sense of self? And what does this experience of a life dominated by  economic relations feel or even look like?

No comments :

Post a Comment