Wednesday 3 October 2012

Platform Introduction

Since the festival begins on Friday evening, it's time to mention the mighty Eastern Promise festival at Platform, It's been running for about three years - a little research would clear that up - and is yet another example of how Platform is becoming one of the most forward thinking venues in Glasgow. It's a bit out of the way, but there is a bus running directly from Mono to Platform: the line-up over the two days includes local favourites and some more international names.

For some reason, I didn't realise that Richard Youngs is Glasgow based - it's probably because I first heard about his work in The Wire, so assumed he was working out of an obscure hipster enclave somewhere in the USA. There's a Vile Arts interview with him coming up on our Mixcloud, along with a chat to Gerry Love from Lightships

It was a real pleasure chatting to them in the studio - possibly because Youngs grew up in a similar part of the world to me and remembers the thrill of poking through the record racks in the local Our Price, and I can remember seeing Love in Teenage Fanclub back when I could convince myself that I was young and hip. But unlike me, both men reveal an enthusiasm for making music, a genuine interest in other artists and a mature perspective on how the industry and technology has changed in the past decade or so.









No comments :

Post a Comment